Tuesday 16 December 2008

Off Days

Well it has been a long time since I posted on here. Things at work have been going from strength to strength. Recently completed my quarterly assessment to good effect. This in turn has boosted my confidence.

I am currently sat at the station computer and I just know it is going to be one of those days where everything is just going to go wrong. My brain just isn't firing on all cyclinders.

I have found it is very easy to get like this. One day you are spot on your game, all the i's dotted and all the t's crossed. Then other days, like today, you just have moments where your brain just really isn't 100% with you! Fortunately working as a dual "personned" ambulance you have your crew mate to back you up. Even if both of you are feeling a bit rubbish, the combination of the two of you seems to make up one good clinician.

Which left me to thinking of the governments plan to have alot of ambulance staff on cars. What if, like today, I am not feelin 100% and I am a solo responder on a car. How does the impact clinical effectiveness and patient care. In hospital there is a network of people, so that if one person is having an off day, they can usually be saved by another. The solo responder on the off day can have a bad day and there is no one to pick up anything missed until it could be potentially to late. This is where again government plans are going to land flat on their face, with the only ones being impacted being the registered paramedic or EMT.

No comments: