Sunday 5 October 2008

Rearwards thinking

I am on the second of four night shifts, sat on the station computer procrastinating time once more. Currently on my attending shift with the radio in front of me with trepidation waiting for the next job (will it be genuine or a complete waste of time!)

Anyway I am currently contemplating on the amount of time paramedics and technicians think about backsides. Honestly this is nothing rude, but we do. There is a constant thought when you are going to a call "is there anything on scene that is likely to hurt myself or my crew mate."

This is a very sad state of affairs. But long gone are the days when ambulance staff are seen as knights in shining armour. We are often now and inconvenience, interfering busy bodies that are getting involved into something that we are not welcome. I have witnessed this is the amount of verbal abuse that we are suffering, which is increasing on a daily basis.

As a result as a crew we are constantly watching each others backs making sure we are safe. This I have found is an essential part of the job and a vital ability in any person in the ambulance service.

No comments: