Tuesday 23 September 2008

Screwing up! The easiest way to learn

So not been posting these last few weeks; it has been a hectic time at work and I am also gettinng prepared to go back for a week at university.

One thing has come to my attention these past few weeks; making mistakes is the easiest way to learn. I don't know if it is the fact that you make the mistake and you go through it in your mind, or that you do not wish to feel as crap as you felt when you made the mistake, thus not wanting to make it again!

Either way, it is true. I have learnt more from these weeks on the road than I did with the months in training. The strive of not wanting to kill a patient seems to sharpen the mind and information seems to pass through the mystical mental barrier into the long term memory.

In a way it is strange, as I look forward to making more supervised errors to enhance my practice for the better. However, I am also putting caution on this as no one wants to be the class "dimwit"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a student myself Charlie and couldn't agree more. So long as mistakes are made under supervision (and not dangerous) they are the best way to learn. Fortunately I've not made many myself but there's still time